Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week of July 29

Back in the swing of things this weekend. I am trying out a few new recipes and relying on old favorites as well.

Writing my shopping lists is a little more challenging these days. I want to use as much local, fresh produce as I can. So each trip to the market(s) involves a lot of mental inventory-taking and strategizing. My usual approach is to start in my own back yard (literally, in my vegetable garden), then go to my local farmstand (Farmer Bob at Wheeler Brook Farm) and then my other go-to farms (Cider Hill and Woodman's). Then, I go to the supermarket. These places are all really close to each other, so I'm not burning gallons of gas while trying to do the right thing by eating locally.

Still, this requires shopping lists that say things like: "enough vegetables for three side salads", "green beans if nice, otherwise something else for chicken dish", etc. I do have to think on my feet to make sure I get everything I need and to make sure I don't over-buy.

This week I cooked a little on both days, so in full disclosure: on Saturday, I:
  • Made Beef Rendang from James Oseland's book Cradle of Flavor for dinner. The recipe is here on the Splendid Table website. I say "eh." It was ok but not worth 3+ hours of cooking (what is it with me and these half-day recipes?)
  • Made Oven-roasted Tomato Sauce. I will post this, I promise.
  • Baked a Brown-Sugar Cake from Gourmet. (I did not do all the silliness with blackberries and fancy buttercreams - I made a cream cheese frosting and used blueberries.)
  • Made ricotta.
On Sunday:
  • Made tuna and bean salad with chopped green beans, dill, chervil, peppers, chickpeas and kidney beans.
  • Frosted aforementioned Brown-Sugar Cake.
  • Made Chicken Cacciatore.
  • Made polenta to grill.
  • Later in the week, I'll pull the gyro patties and cheesesteak meat out of the freezer to thaw.
Week's Menu
Sunday
Zucchini "carpaccio" (thinly sliced zucchini with parmesan and lemon)
Angel hair with fresh ricotta and oven-roasted tomato sauce
Brown-sugar cake with blueberries

Monday
Tuna and bean salad
Green salad
Toasts

Tuesday
Chicken cacciatore
Grilled polenta
Green beans in herb vinaigrette

Wednesday
Gyro sandwiches
Fresh beet and cucumber salad

Thursday
Grilled pizza
Green salad

Friday
Cheesesteaks

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin