Thursday, July 12, 2007

Brisket Update

We made the Texas-Style Brisket for our Fourth of July dinner. For the full recipe you should check out the recent issue of Cook's Illustrated
as this is just an update.

First, it did not take six hours. It took a little over four hours. Perfect for a weeknight. Ha!

The only brisket I could find at my supermarket was 2 1/2 pounds and the recipe called for a 4-5 pound brisket. I followed the recipe pretty much as it was outlined. I halved the amount of dry rub I made (due to the smaller roast) and used the foil shield the recipe recommended because we were cooking on a gas grill. Liberal use of wood chips kept everything nice and smoky throughout.

We ate the brisket with potato salad, pickles, and sliced tomatoes. It was quite good. We didn't get the nice crust on the meat because I was too hungry to leave the meat in the oven (yes, the recipe uses the oven and the grill) to crust up.

Leftovers were eaten at the East Coast Classic (go Cadets!) in wrap sandwiches with sliced cucumber, cheese and tomato.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin