Friday, February 26, 2010

Drink of the Week: Toronto

We had dinner last weekend at The Highland Kitchen in Somerville. You must go, and you must order the goat stew (it is super spicy) and if they're still on the menu, may I recommend the Buffalo-fried brussels sprouts. Just trust me.

The Toronto was on their list and seeing it reminded me how much I enjoy cocktails that contain a good dose of Fernet Branca (the Hanky Panky is also a good choice). The one I was served at the Highland was really great. Ice-cold and clear, it made for great sipping.

The Toronto Cocktail
Combine in an iced shaker:
  • 2 ounces rye
  • 1/4 ounce Fernet Branca
  • 1/4 ounce simple syrup (I used Scrappy's Gomme Syrup which gave a really luscious mouthfeel to the drink - buy yours here at The Boston Shaker)
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir until well chilled. Strain into a cocktail and garnish with a disk of orange zest (think a really wide and round twist).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin