Monday, February 8, 2010

Menu for the Week of February 7

Those there are some pretzels. Sorry for the lousy photo: iPhones aren't known for their phenomenal photographic ability. These are from the recipe in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine. I used rye flour from Schartner Farms in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. I have to admit to a slight bit of crankiness when I saw that Pete Wells did not include weight measurements for the flours he used.

My gift to you: the weights I used to produce mine. I've put the entire ingredient list below, refer back to the NY Times site for the instructions.

Rye Pretzels - Ingredient list
  • 0.25 ounces (2.25 tsp) ounce active dry yeast
  • 0.75 ounces honey
  • 5 ounces rye flour
  • 12.4 ounces bread flour + another 1.75 ounces kneaded in while I was working the dough
  • 1 tbs kosher salt
  • 1 ounce melted butter
  • 2 ounces baking soda
Menu for the Week
Superbowl Sunday
Mrs. Wheelbarrow's chicken wings
Green salad
Egg salad (this was supposed to be deviled eggs, but the eggs would not peel - argh!)

Monday
Pad Thai with tofu
Papaya salad

Tuesday
Creamy polenta with sauteed homemade kielbasa, artichoke hearts and swiss chard

Wednesday
Fish chowder (this is a great recipe for using up the bits of fish from my CSF deliveries)
Salad
Some kinda bready-dippy thing

Thursday
Tea-smoked duck breast (thanks to Matthew Barros of Myers and Chang for a tea-smoking consult)
Lentils with braised spinach

Friday
Pizza night

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin