Thursday, August 23, 2007

Easy, Cheesy

This is cheating, as this is barely a recipe. But, it's delicious, so I'll share the idea.

The next time you're grilling a Mediterranean-inspired meal, add Grilled Feta to your menu. Putting the feta cheese over heat (you can also do this in the oven, but it's not as fun) causes it to firm up and makes the edges get all brown and crunchy. It's really nice on bread or grilled vegetables.

Grilled Feta Cheese
I use Mt. Vikos Feta when I can find it - in my stores, I can find it in a sealed package in the deli cheese area. It's usually expensive (about $6-7 for an 8 oz. package), but the flavor is more authentic (to my taste) and in this case that's a good thing. All that said, this works well with "regular" feta too (like Athena brand).

Put 4 ounces (for 2-3 people) of feta in a heat-proof pan or baking dish (I like my wee iron skillet). Sprinkle pepper flakes, dried Greek oregano and/or ground black pepper over the cheese. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. (See Before picture to the right.)

Put the pan on the cooler side of your grill - let it sit there for 15-20 minutes. The cheese will sizzle and spit at first and then it will calm down. When the cheese looks browned and a little crispy on the edges, it's done.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin