Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 2 : Gazpacho

No, you didn't miss a day. Day 1 of my "I couldn't make it to the supermarket, oh God I hope the farmstand has nice stuff this week" week (ICMITTSOGIHTFHNSTW for short - ha!) involved a dinner made of sausage from the fridge and corn from the farmstand. Yummy, but not blog-worthy.

Today was Day 2 and was more interesting. I came home and made gazpacho. Easy and fast. We had it with toast (bread from the freezer) and goat cheese (from the fridge).

Super-Quick Gazpacho
  • 3-4 large tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
  • 1 cucumber, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
  • 1 clove garlic
  • handful of almonds or a small handful of almond meal
  • squeeze of lemon or lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Put everything into the blender (you may need to do this in 2 batches) and blend until pureed. Check seasoning. Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.

If you have time and have planned ahead: Garnish with chopped tomatoes, herbs, cooked shrimp or chicken, etc.

4 comments:

Lisa Kendrick said...

This looks like great soup! Thanks for the recipe!!

Me said...

I'm intrigued by the addition of the almonds. I'll have to try this.

Sunday Cook said...

Lisa: you're welcome. :-)

Me: I have seen many recipes for almond gazpacho, but not with tomatoes. But, I've seen recipes for romesco sauce (a red pepper sauce with almonds) so ... I threw some almond meal from Trader Joe's into the soup - it thickened the soup a little, but didn't make a huge difference in the flavor.

Nirmala said...

It's been hot where I live -- I should make this refreshing soup that highlights summer's finest fruit!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin