Monday, April 30, 2007

Creamy Tomato Goodness

My motivation to make this soup came from an impassioned posting by the Homesick Texan. I wasn't sick with a cold or the flu, but I figured tomato soup's restorative powers could be beneficial anyway. This was a great soup; I used a piece of parmesan rind and it added a great depth to the flavors of the soup. The fresh chives (from the garden - yay!) added a great fresh top note to the final dish.

Tomato Bisque
  • olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
  • 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes (I used Progresso)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2"x3" piece of parmesan rind (or 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese)
  • 1/2 cup cream or half and half
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat a little olive oil in a soup pot. Sweat the onion, carrot, celery and garlic until softened and a little browned. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and parmesan rind (don't add the grated cheese now if you're using it instead of the rind). Simmer the soup for about 20-30 minutes until everything is soft. Remove from heat.

Remove the parmesan rind, if using, and puree the soup in batches in a blender. Add the cream to the blender as you go. If you are using the grated cheese, blend it into the soup now. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

At serving time, sprinkle chopped herbs (chives, parsley, chervil, oregano, etc.) over the soup.

Yield: 4-6 servings

2 comments:

EKG said...

This looks just like a tomato soup my husband & I used to get in DC. Yum, do I miss that soup. I will definitely give this recipe a try. I love your site (just stumbled on it tonight) and have already gotten lots of inspiration. Thanks a bunch for posting!

Sunday Cook said...

Thanks ekg, enjoy. I do think the parmesan rind is a major part of the flavor, so do use one if you have one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin