Monday, April 23, 2007

Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream

Holy crap. Wow. This is good ice cream. I am serious. Do yourself a favor and make a batch, like now. I mean it.

Find the recipe here on David Lebovitz's blog.

We absolutely inhaled our bowls of this ice cream. It's sweet, but not too sweet; salty, but not too salty. The depth of the flavor is incredible - due to the caramelized sugar, there's a richness in the flavor that you just can't get any other way. The praline mix-in is super easy and a very nice addition to the ice cream.

In the picture, the ice cream looks sort of melty. I do think the batch needed another few hours in the freezer to freeze up and ripen, but we couldn't wait. Chef David points out that due to the high-hat, high-sugar levels in this recipe, it will alway stay sort of soft and gelato-y. I don't see how that is a problem ... at all.

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

W-OW. Simply amazing!!!Rich,smooth, creamy, delicious!!!!!Thank you for sharing this with us!

Sunday Cook said...

I'm glad you liked it! I LOVE this ice cream and plan to make a lot more of it. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin