Monday, July 21, 2008

Watercress Pesto

... or Cress-to as Dave called it.

This week's Root Source Challenge ingredient was watercress. I use watercress in salads usually, but I've been thinking a lot about quick sauces like pesto. I thought watercress's pepperiness would make a nice pesto. The next Root Source is on tarragon - be sure to submit an entry!

I served the pesto over linguine. To make a main course servings out of it, I topped each serving with a poached egg and a little grated cheese.

This pesto would be nice over grilled salmon or scallops and would be great as a sandwich spread. I think it would be fabulous stirred into mayonnaise and served with cooked shrimp.

Watercress Pesto
makes about 1/2 cup
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
  • 1 bunch watercress (about 2 packed cups - about 5 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (I think this would be great with toasted walnuts too)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan (about 1/2 ounce)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, pulse together the garlic, watercress and pine nuts. Pulse in the cheese and olive oil. You want a paste, not a puree. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin