Friday, July 11, 2008

Drink of the Week: Sidecar

The Sidecar, like the Negroni, is one of the classic cocktails I ask for when I'm out. I only ask for a Sidecar, however, when I am certain the bar has fresh lemon juice (not sour mix) available for mixing.

Like the Negroni, it's an "equal parts" cocktail, so I don't have to do much explaining and I can be sure that the bartender will remember the recipe.

Sidecars are a simple drink, made of equal amounts of brandy or cognac, Cointreau and lemon juice; shaken and served up in a cocktail glass. Think of it as a super-classy margarita, made with brandy and lemon instead of lime and tequila.

Sidecar
In an iced cocktail shaker, combine:
  • 1 ounce brandy or cognac (the C4TW house brand is Christian Brothers. T'ain't French and t'ain't high end, but it mixes just fine, although if you have some Martell or Hennessey around, treat yourself to a "good" drink at least once)
  • 1 ounce Cointreau (I cheap out most of the time and use triple sec, do try one with Cointreau if you have a chance)
  • 1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Shake until well chilled. Serve in a cocktail glass with a lemon twist. A traditional garnish calls for a sugared rim on the glass. I prefer mine sugar-free.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin