On Sunday we went to Buff's Pub in Newton on a chicken wing pilgrimage. Buff's is about a hour from our house, but, it's about five minutes from Russo's. Russo's is amazing produce market in Watertown, MA. I went for the first time a few weeks ago and will now use any excuse to go back.
Russo's has everything. Three kinds of artichokes, nine (nine!) types of eggplant, fava beans, Kentucky wonder beans, long beans, four types of melon, plus meat, cheese, deli and bakery counters. And reasonably priced. Woo hoo.
So, instead of meal-planning my week, I decided to buy what looked good and then pull meals together based on that. I'll post as I go this week, so you can see what I come up with.
Here's what we bought (we bought a lot!):
- Artichokes (went into a risotto)
- Broccoli rabe
- Brussels sprouts
- Eggplant (fat Italian ones)
- Fava beans (also into the risotto)
- Mushrooms: Morels and hedgehog
- Yu toy (A kind of Chinese broccoli)
- "Creamer" potatoes
- Baby red potatoes
- Horseradish root
- Thai Basil
- Asian pears
- Charentais melon
- Pineapple quince (gonna make caramels with these!)
- Bresaola (Italian dried beef)
- Speck (Italian/German ham - like prosciutto, but not quite)
- Cheeses: Mimolette, Softocenere (truffled cheese), Taleggio