Saturday, August 14, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 13

Be sure to check out Use Your Booty: Show Your CSA Box Who's Boss for ideas about how to manage your CSA vegetables.

In this week's share I picked up:
  • 6 ears of corn
  • 2 pattypan squash, 2 yellow squash
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • Cherry and plum tomatoes
  • 4 Anaheim chile peppers
  • 1 bunch of broccoli
  • A whole pile of kale - picked my own!
  • 1 bunch of Swiss chard
  • A bunch of basil
  • A whole mess of purslane (more to come on this!)
So here's what I think I'm doing with these items:
  • I think I'm going to make a pudding with the corn.
  • The cabbage is going most likely become another slaw, maybe with the broccoli.
  • The plum tomatoes will get roasted and eaten either on pasta or perhaps on bruschetta.
  • I have two avocados ripening on the counter, so I'll like make chile rellenos with the peppers and spiced greens with some of the kale.
  • The cherry tomatoes have already gone into tomato pie.
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's what we ate from the CSA last week:
  • Half the corn was steamed and eaten hot with butter. Yum. The other half went into a salad with a few other vegetables.
  • I stuffed the Anaheims with Monterey jack and some thinly sliced onions. They went into a skillet and got all silky soft.
  • The cabbage made a slaw with a few other vegetables.
  • I fried some of the zucchini and the rest went into the corn salad.
  • I made this gorgeous tomato rarebit to test for Food52 with great tomatoes I had.
  • The plum tomatoes went into a pasta sauce with Swiss chard, onions and bacon.
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog. I paid for my livestock share.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin