Friday, January 8, 2010

Drink of the Week: The Bensonhurst

Over the holidays I added a new bottle to our liquor cabinet. Cynar is an amaro, an Italian liqueur known as a disgestivo. Amari and digestivi are traditionally drunk after a meal, to help you digest the abundance you've consumed. (I grew to love one of the most famously lethal of these, Fernet Branca, after I was a given a shot of it at the conclusion of an incredibly rich, salumi-laden meal.)

Anyway, back to Cynar. On its own, it is sweeter and a little less bitter than Fernet, but not as sweet as Averna, another amaro you might see. Cynar is flavored with an infusion of artichoke as well as several other herbs. I've been enjoying it, in small doses, as an after dinner sipper but wanted to try it in a cocktail.

I am a huge fan of the Red Hook (first mixed Milk & Honey in New York City) and its variations (such as the Prospect Park). This variation using Cynar was designed by Chad Solomon of Cuffs and Buttons is called The Bensonhurst.

The Bensonhurst
Combine in an iced cocktail shaker:
  • 2 ounces rye
  • 1 ounce dry vermouth
  • 2 teaspoons maraschino liqueur
  • 1 teaspoon Cynar
Stir until will chilled and strain into a cocktail glass.

You talkin' to me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have recently come to like Cynar and just must share a favorite with you, I know you have the ingrediants (or should).
1 part gin (Beefeaters or Plymouth)
1 part CinZano sweet vermouth
1 part Cynar
Cin Cyn (prononced chin chin) yeah I know, just go with it.
Very simple and tasty.
The CinZano brand is a must here. Other brands don't do the drink justice. I think of it as Punt e Mes without the bitter; which Cynar already brings along.

Sunday Cook said...

Thanks Wally - this is another Negroni variation - what a nice idea. Will have to try it this evening.

Thanks for stopping by. Cin cin!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin