Saturday, January 16, 2010

Borrachos

Delicious. That's all I gotta say. This recipe for borrachos (drunken beans) is from Jen at Last Night's Dinner. Her blog is loaded with gorgeous pictures of the food she prepares for herself and her husband.

Until recently, Jen only posted pictures of her dinners and we had to live without her recipes. But she is one of the contributors to the recipe site Food52 and posted this recipe in the "Best Bean Dish" category. Her recipe and its history can be found here. Check out her other recipes while you're there: her dishes are interesting and delicious.

I made a few small changes to this recipe based on what I had on hand: I used a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies instead of diced tomatoes, and I used Greek oregano instead of Mexican. I also used my own home-cured bacon instead of store-bought slab bacon. I'm sure it will be just as good with store-bought bacon, but this was a great way to showcase my homemade stuff!

The beans made a filling and satisfying dinner: I served them as an entree with a quick slaw (finely shredded cabbage with lime, cilantro and salt) and homemade corn tortillas. I drizzled some creme fraiche over the top of the beans and sprinkled some fresh cilantro over the top. As expected, they were even more fabulous the next day.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin