Friday, August 29, 2008

Drink of the Week: Tomato Martini, Take Two

A few weeks ago, I made a cherry tomato martini. Since then, I've read of a few other takes on this cocktail. Inspired by Dash of Bitters, I thought I'd try a new version.

For this cocktail, you need tomato water, which you make by chopping up fresh tomatoes, putting them in a strainer and letting the liquid drain out. The liquid is tomato water.

This drink was more subtle than the one I made before. I made it with Plymouth gin because it's such a good mixing gin, and I am going to try it once more with Hendricks (I am guessing that the cucumber notes in Hendricks will marry well with the tomato).

Tomato Martini Two
Make your tomato water - for 1/2 ounce, you'll need 1 medium tomato. The draining takes a little time, so give yourself 10 minutes or so for this step.

In an iced cocktail shaker, combine:
  • 3 ounces gin
  • 1/2 ounce tomato water
  • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
Stir until well chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a cherry tomato.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin