Friday, August 22, 2008

Drink of the Week: Michelada

If you're visiting from TBTL, welcome! There's an official "hello" for you all here.)

Ah, michelada, where have you been all my (adult) life? I know I had heard about the michelada before, but for some reason I'd never made one. Then, all of a sudden, I was in the eye of a michelada hurricane: there was a story on Good Food, it was subject of a discussion by the incredibly engaging Luke and Jen of TBTL, and my Google Reader had links I had starred to Serious Eats, Married ... with Dinner, and SLOSHED! Sort of a sign, yes?

There are many versions of the michelada. Some are just beer spiced up with some combination of Tabasco, Maggi seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, lime, salt, etc. etc. etc. Other versions include Clamato or tomato juice.

I went the Clamato route this time (mainly because I had a few cans of Goya's Clamato version: appealing called "Vegetable Juice with Clam Flavors" mmm). Muy delicioso! This was an incredibly refreshing drink. We'll be trying a version without tomato juice shortly.

Michelada

Pour into a large beer glass, with a salted rim if you like (we used our Guiness pints):
  • 4 ounces of Clamato juice
  • few dashes of Tapatio or Cholula or Tabasco hot sauce
  • 4 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
  • dash of soy sauce
  • juice of half a lime
Stir to blend. Pour in a bottle of very cold Mexican beer. Garnish with a lime wedge.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin