So, I jumped into the fray and created this dish for us. I chopped up some butternut squash and sauteed the cubes until they were lightly browned and softened. Then I tossed in a sliced leek, sauteed some more. Threw in the broccoli. Tossed the whole thing over pasta with farmer and parmesan cheeses. Quite a success.
Next time, I will make this so there are more veggies in the sauce, and that's the way I wrote the recipe up for you.
Pasta with Butternut Squash, Leeks and Broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash (little bite-sized cubes, about dice-sized - 1/2 a medium squash)
- 3/4 cup sliced leek (about 1 medium leek, including some of the green part of the leek - could also use 1/2 scallion, if leeks are unavailable)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 8 oz. pasta (shells, rigatoni, penne)
- parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled farmer's cheese (or feta)
In the meantime, boil up your pasta. If the sauce is done ahead of the pasta, just hold it on low heat until the pasta is finished. Toss the pasta with the vegetable sauce and the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.