Red Lentil Soup
- 2 medium onions, chopped medium fine
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (or 1 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- pinch cayenne (to taste or fresh chilies, I used green Thai chilies in this batch)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk (light coconut milk is fine)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste (or 1/4 cup tomato sauce, or some chopped tomatoes - fresh or canned)
- 2 quarts-ish chicken broth or vegetable stock, or a blend of broth and water
- 1 lime
Saute the onions until softened and starting to brown. Add the garlic and saute one more minute. Add spices and saute one minute.
Add lentils, coconut milk and 1 1/2 quarts broth. Simmer soup 30 - 45 minutes, adding more broth for a soupier consistency as desired. It's done when the red lentils have dissolved into the soup and they do not feel grainy or sandy when you try some.
Squeeze the lime's juice into the soup. Taste and correct seasoning with salt and pepper.
To serve: Top with a dollop of yogurt and chopped cilantro.