Friday, May 28, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 2

Week two's CSA pickup included some repeats from last week (not surprising) and a few new items.

This week's share was:
  • 2 heads arugula
  • 2 heads broccoli rabe
  • 2 heads bok choy
  • 1 head Chinese cabbage
  • 2 heads lettuce
  • bunched baby shallots
  • cutting herbs: basil, Thai basil, parsley, thyme, chives (I took mostly the blossoms)
  • Eagle-eyed readers will notice that I'm missing an item in my list. I got distracted taking pictures and didn't realize I'd shorted myself until I got home. Ah well.
So here's what I think I'm doing with these items this week:
  • Arugula is going to get sautéed with some of the shallots and served on a pizza tonight along with some homemade sausage.
  • The broccoli rabe will be sautéed down with a ton of garlic and served on a roast pork sandwich.
  • The bok choy will be a side dish for some kind of brown rice-bedded stir fry, most likely with carrots, celery and more of those shallots.
  • I'm going to make kimchi out of the cabbage - I love kimchi and it's super easy to make.
  • ... and the lettuce goes into salads.
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's we ate (and what CSA items were used) last week:
  • Greens soup (broccoli rabe, arugula)
  • Bok choy stir fry (bok choy)
  • Swiss chard tabouli (Swiss chard) - this was going to be chard leaves stuffed with tabouli, but the dinnertime showed up much sooner than expected.
  • Beet quiche (beets, Swiss chard)
  • Rhubarb caramels, rhubarb syrup
  • The herbs and chive blossoms were sprinkled over salads and dishes as garnishes.
  • The lettuces went into green salads.
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin