Friday, June 11, 2010

Drink of the Week: Pegu Club

A fun thing about classic cocktails is the history behind them. The Pegu Club was a watering hole in Rangoon, then the capital of Burma (now the city of Yangon in Myanmar). The house cockail was a blend of gin, orange curaçao, lime juice and bitterses (is that the plural of bitters?).

There's a lot of discussion about this recipe (check this thread at eGullet if you doubt me). I decided to follow David Wonderich's recipe. It results in what I'd call a "bracing" drink. It's a perfect quaff for Rangoon-hot summer day.

Pegu Club Cocktail
Combine in an iced shaker:
  • 2 oz gin (I used Plymouth)
  • 3/4 oz lime juice
  • 3/4 oz orange curaçao (I used Grand Marnier)
  • dash of Angostura bitters
  • dash of orange bitters
Shake until well-chilled and the shaker is frosted over. Strain in to a cocktail glass. The mint leaf is a non-traditional garnish, but I thought it looked purty.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin