Sunday, June 20, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 5


Week five's CSA share was:
  • 1 bunch amaranth
  • 2 quarts of peas (pick your own) - I only got 1 quart because no time to pick and they took pity on me and handed me a pre-picked quart - I have to remember to make time for Pick Your Own when I go for my pickup so I can take advantage of this benefit.
  • 1 head red lettuce
  • 1 head green lettuce
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 bunch mizuna
  • 1 bunch spring onions
  • 1 bunch onion scapes
  • 1 bunch red mustard
  • I clipped some basil, Thai basil and parsley
  • and my share also included that gorgeous pot of flowers ( I will not be eating that)
So here's what I think I'm doing with these items:
  • Lettuce soup topped with fresh spring peas and pea tendrils (the tendrils are from last week's box). Yup soup made with lettuce. I have SO MUCH lettuce in the fridge that I have to find a method of mass utilization for the bushel of lettuce I have on hand (I also have lettuce from a few other farms too - LOTS of lettuce)
  • Mustard greens tabouli
  • Ceylonese-style amaranth (steamed with onion, coconut and turmeric) served over steamed amaranth grains (clever huh?) with a fresh onion chutney
  • Butternut squash and chickpea salad with kale
  • The mizuna will go into a quiche with some goat cheese and many herbs.
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's what we ate (and what CSA items were used) last week:
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog. I paid for my livestock share.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin