I recommend that you cook your own beans for the salad if you can: they'll be a little creamier than canned and you'll be able to control the saltiness a little better. That said, if you want to use canned beans, go right ahead and feel no guilt about it. Of course, feel free to vary the ingredients based on what you have on hand.
This salad is best if you make it a few hours ahead. It makes a great side with grilled meat or vegetables. For an easy vegan dinner pair it with a green salad and a grilled portobello mushroom.
White Bean Salad
- 4 cups cooked white beans (about 1 1/2 cups dry beans cooked or 2 large cans of beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and torn in halves
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced
- handful of dill, chopped
- red wine or sherry vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper