Saturday, September 22, 2007

Drink of the Week: Good Witch Bad Witch Cocktail

Picture to come, I promise. I am on the road and forgot to bring the cable doohickey for my camera. (Updated 9/25, doohickey retrieved, my drink is ensconced in a bed of rue. Rue may not be a Strega herb, but it smells like one.)

I wanted a Negroni last night (post on that one soon), but I was in a Campari-free household. I perused the [very] random assortment of other beverage in the liquor cabinet and saw Strega. Strega, like Campari, is a digestivo/apertivo. They are both herbal and fairly high in proof (around 80), but Campari is a beautiful ruby color. Strega looks a little like pee. Mmm, appetizing. So, I thought I would try to develop a Negroni-esque cocktail with Strega. Hm.

Since Strega means "witch" in Italian and half the people I gave a sip of this to were not crazy about it while the other half liked it, I have dubbed it the Good Witch Bad Witch Cocktail.

Good Witch Bad Witch Cocktail

Mix in a shaker:
  • 1 oz. gin
  • 3/4 oz. sweet vermouth
  • 1/2 oz. Strega
  • two dashes bitters
Shake to combine and serve over ice.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin