Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Use Your Booty: Easy Vegetable Tart


So here's a savory tart made with the tart dough recipe that I used to make the fruit tart.

I pulled the filling together while Dave made the crust. He's never made any kind of pastry before, and he put the dough together quickly and pressed it into the tart shell.

I tossed together some CSA tomatoes, cooked Swiss chard and cubed goat cheese (Middletown Tomme) from West River Creamery. I crumbled a leftover savory shortbread over the top of the tart - next time I think I'll use chopped nuts or shredded parmesan over the top.

So nice to have another quick weeknight recipe on hand. In the time it took to preheat the oven, we made the tart crust and put together the filling. The tart takes about 35-40 minutes to bake, so a really delicious, elegant dinner is on the table in about an hour.

This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog. I paid for my livestock share. A full set of all the photos I've taken of this share is here.

4 comments:

tarah said...

This looks great. Is there a science to adding the vegetables, or do you just proportion them out by how much you like each of them? Any suggestions or a recipe would be great. Thanks.

Sunday Cook said...

Hi Tarah, thanks for stopping by. I didn't use a recipe for this tart (other than the crust recipe - which is on the site). But I'd say that I used about 3 cups of vegetables. The greens were sautéed, the tomatoes were raw.

I think you should just eyeball it - you want the filling just a little higher than the top of the crust as it will settle as it bakes.

Sorry I can't be more specific. :-)

tarah said...

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Sunday Cook said...

Please do!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin