Sunday, July 18, 2010

Amanda Hesser's Peach Tart


Except I didn't make a peach tart. Instead, I made a fig and blueberry tart. I was turned on to this recipe by my friend Lynn. She told me how her young son (like 10 years oldish?) made these tarts himself.

See, these are his in the oven:

This is not meant to be intimidating. This recipe is super easy and super adaptable. Use the fruit you have on hand and you'll be fine. It's fast too - I had the tart ready to go in the oven before the end of the oven's preheat cycle.

I'm going to use this tart recipe in a savory application too: I'll fill the tart shell with chopped fresh tomatoes, cooked Swiss chard and goat cheese. Will let you know how it goes.

I don't normally post other people's recipes, especially when I don't own the cookbook (a situation I'm about to remedy), but this recipe is all over the interwebs, so I'm a little more comfortable posting it.

Fruit Tart
Based on Amanda Hesser's recipe for Peach Tart from Cooking for Mr. Latte.
Makes 1 tart (I used an 8" tart pan, but I think you could use a 9" or 10" pan - you can see my crust was sorta thick, which I prefer)
  • 1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) olive oil
  • 2 tbs (1 ounce) milk
  • Fruit or other filling of your choice - I used about 3 cups of fruit but a lot depends on the size of your tart pan
  • 3/4 cup (5.25 ounces) sugar
  • 2 tbs flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbs (1 ounce) cold butter
Preheat the oven to 425.

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together. Combine the dry with the wet. It'll become a dough, right under your fingertips - I promise. When the tart dough has come together, press it into the tart pan. Make sure you press it in evenly, so the crust is evenly distributed across the bottom and sides.

Fill your tart with the fruit or other vegetables you've prepared.

In a small bowl, use your fingers to combine the sugar, salt and butter. Pinch and rub until you have a crumbly sugar mixture. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the tart. (Obviously, omit this step if you're making a vegetable tart.)

Bake the tart until crust if well browned and the fruit is cooked and bubbly. This took me about 40 minutes in my oven.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin