Saturday, July 3, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 7

This week's share (week SEVEN? Wow Summer is starting to fly isn't it?) included:
  • 1 bunch Swiss chard
  • 1 bunch amaranth
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 small box of tomatoes - yay!
  • 2 lettuces
  • 2 bunches of broccoli
  • 2 bunches of spring onions
  • 1 bunch of bok choy
So here's what I think I'm doing with these items:
  • The lettuces are going to be used as wraps for pork larb (a salad of ground pork and herbs).
  • The tomatoes are going into either a salad or a quick tomato sauce for fresh pasta.
  • I have a bushel of lettuce that I'll turn into lettuce soup.
  • I'm pickling the spring onions and using the long scallion-like leaves as scallions.
  • The kale will be turned into a white bean and kale pesto spread.
  • I'm going to use the amaranth to make callaloo again.
  • The broccoli will be steamed and sauced with lots of garlic, anchovy and parsley.
  • Bok choy becomes a stir fry (with last week's still unused bok choy).
  • I'll probably make some sort of tabouli-ish salad with the chard.
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's what we ate (and what CSA items were used) last week:
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog. I paid for my livestock share.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin