Monday, June 14, 2010

Use Your Booty: Gnocchi with Pea Tendrils

Again, no recipe, sorry 'bout that. But I thought I'd walk you through how I put this dish together. The CSA provided me with a pot of pea tendrils, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. Then I pulled a bag of gnocchi from the freezer and I remembered this salad and decided to use the same treatment on these gnocchi.

I pulled a container of chicken stock from the freezer and decided to reduce it for the sauce. Then to bulk up the dish, I picked up the one little kohlrabi a farmer at the market gave to me and put some carrots on the cutting board too.

So here's the dish: I reduced 2 cups of chicken stock to about 1/3 cup. I julienned the kohlrabi and 2 carrots and a little onion and sauteed them to soften them up. I transferred the vegetables to the chicken broth reduction and them seared off the gnocchi. When the gnocchi were browned I added 2 handfuls of pea tendrils, some mint, scallions, parsley and the kohlrabi leaves (cut into chiffonade). They wilted right down and I was ready to plate.

The plate: I put the vegetables into the bottom of a soup plate, and topped them with the gnocchi and herb mixture. I drizzled the chicken broth reduction around the gnocchi and then, and this really made the dish shine, I dropped a few drops of Banyuls vinegar over the top. The vinegar really brought the flavors together and took this dish from good to phenomenal.


2 comments:

PJ said...

I randomly stumbled upon your blog today. I volunteer at Arrowhead on weekends and will definitely be checking back to see what you have planned for your share each week! Thanks for the great ideas.

Sunday Cook said...

Thanks for stopping by PJ. Let me know if I can help you with using any of your share. And please share if you've got any great recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin