Friday, June 4, 2010

Use Your Booty: Panzanella Verde


Panzanella means "little swamp". Most traditionally it's made with tomatoes and fresh mid-summer vegetables (like this one I made a few years ago), but it's nice to play with that tradition and use spring vegetables to make a green version.

This time I used a large portion of lettuces, boy choy, baby shallots and marinated feta from West River Creamery. I made a lemon dressing (heavy on the mustard) and used some thick slices of no-knead bread.

Last Tuesday's Panzanella Verde
2-3 generous servings (two of us ate all of this in one sitting)
  • 3-4 thick slices of hearty bread
  • 2 heads bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
  • 1 bunch baby shallots or 1 bunch scallions
  • 4 cups torn lettuce leaves
  • 2 ounces cheese, cubed or shredded
  • handful of herbs: parsley, basil, thyme, chives, chive blossoms, etc.
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup salad dressing of your choice
Heat the grill. Drizzle the bok choy, shallots and bread with a little olive oil. Grill the vegetables until they are charred and just starting to soften. Grill the bread on both sides until it is browned to your taste (I like mine pretty toasty).

Cut the shallots and bok choy into bite-sized pieces. Cut the bread in to large croutons. Toss the bread, vegetables, lettuce, herbs and cheese together. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Use a generous amount of dressing - you want to moisten the bread cubes with it.

This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin