Saturday, June 26, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 6


Sorry for the delay in posting, this weekend has been nutso.

Week six's CSA share was:
  • 1 bunch amaranth
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • a pint of peas (we were supposed to PYO, but there wasn't a whole lot out there to P)
  • a bunch each of green (curly) and red kale
  • 1 bunch of Swiss chard
  • a bundle of bok choy (2 heads)
  • 2 bunches of beets
  • 1 bunch of spring onions
  • I clipped some basil and parsley
  • a dozen eggs (this was an add-on not included in the share)
  • I also got more beets (Chioggia - also known as candy cane beets because they have concentric red and white circles in them when you cut 'em through), a cauliflower, a cabbage and some radishes from my neighbor at the farmers' market.
So here's what I think I'm doing with these items:
  • An Indian-type dinner with Ceylonese-style amaranth (steamed with onion, coconut and turmeric), curried cauliflower and a quick radish pickle, all served over steamed rice.
  • Bok choy stir fry with glass noodles
  • Pea and pea greens (still have some from a few weeks back) risotto
  • Beet "carpaccio" with the Chioggia and red beets
  • Pickled chard stems (really looking forward to this one)
  • I'm going to stuff the chard leaves with something and bake or steam them (not sure yet)
  • Borscht (again, it's been on my list to make and keeps getting pushed out) with beet greens
  • I think the kales will become a savory pie of some type - with herbs and garlic and cheese
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's what we ate (and what CSA items were used) last week:
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog. I paid for my livestock share.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin