Friday, June 4, 2010

CSA Booty - Week 3

Week three's CSA share was:
  • 1 bunch of beets
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 1 wee bunch o' onions
  • 2 heads of heads of lettuce: romaine and green leaf
  • 1 bunch of amaranth (woo hoo!)
  • 2 bunches of chard
  • 1 bunch of mustard greens
I am super-excited to see the amaranth. That's it over there <--- . If you're familiar with amaranth at all, it's probably the grain. The flowers of amaranth produce little, little, little seeds that can be cooked like quinoa: steamed is traditional. The greens can be eaten be raw but are best treated as a cooked green - think spinach. It's not a vegetable we ever see in supermarkets and rarely at farmers' market [in this neck of the woods anyway].

So here's what I think I'm doing with these items:
  • I'm going to use the amaranth on its own, in a simple sauté, to make sure we can appreciate the flavor of it.
  • I'm going to cook the chard leaves and beet greens with chickpeas and Indian spices. We'll eat it with rice and a fresh onion (from the wee bunch o') chutney.
  • The beets will be steamed and served with hard boiled eggs, olives, chunks of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's home-preserved tuna and lettuce in a Niçoise-esque salad
  • The mustard will be stir-fried with some smoky bacon, garlic and ginger and served with brown rice.
  • I'm going to make white bean and chard stem soup that will be topped with a kale & parsley pesto.
  • The lettuce wil be salads, yet again - still not tired of fresh salad.
So how'd I do with last week's haul? Here's what we ate (and what CSA items were used) last week:
This Summer, I am chronicling my first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience. My CSA share is from Arrowhead Farm, a farm based in Newburyport, MA. Each week, I am posting about what was in my share and what I'm doing with it. By way of full disclosure, I won my share through a raffle and am not paying for it. However, Arrowhead did not know I was entered in the raffle, and I received no special consideration because of this blog.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin