Sunday, January 31, 2010

Menu for January 31

Baby, it's cold outside. This is kind of weather that just makes me want to sit by the woodstove and read a book and eat a few of these minipies. These little pastries are, as we say in the vernacular up here, wicked-stinkin' cute. I made little pies in half pint mason jars. They're a perfect serving size for us an after dinner treat. Even better, I made up a dozen of them, so nine little pielettes are waiting in the freezer for when temptation strikes. Though I wish I could lay claim to this idea, I point you to Our Best Bites and their post. They used pint jars for their pies, but I prefer the smaller half-pint (although the smaller jars *are* more fiddly).

I'm trying something new and exciting this weekend. Tonight I'll be cooking along with Food52 in their first Sunday Supper. A group of us (maybe you too?) will be preparing Shrimp Biryani together. I've never participated in a group cooking event before and am interested to see how it goes. You can play along if you'd like: just go to F00d52 and sign up.

Yesterday, I attended a sake tasting led by Richard Auffrey, The Passionate Foodie. If you have a chance to attend a tasting he leads, go. He's clearly passionate about the subject of sake and did a great job of demystifying a beverage most of us don't know much about. I'll be drinking one of my purchases, a bottle of Kurosawa Jun-Mai Kimoto tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

Menu for the Week
Sunday
Kachumber
Blood orange and avocado salad

Monday
Sweet potato soup
Baked feta with sesame and sumac
Whole-wheat flatbread

Tuesday
Baked pasta with fresh ricotta
Green salad

Wednesday
Dinner out at Eastern Standard

Thursday
Macaroni and cheese
Green salad

Friday
Tortillas

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin