Monday, January 19, 2009

Week of January 18

Mother Nature has been very insistent about keeping us in a blanket of white this winter. In twenty-four hours we got well over a foot and a half of the powdery stuff (... my Maine and New Hampshire read this and roll their eyes - woo a whole foot and a half Mary? Anyhoo, I'm tired of shoveling.).

Snow makes me want to make warm, soupy, or braised dishes. It also makes me want to stay out of the supermarket if at all possible: fighting through the scrum of shoppers to grab that last dozen eggs dampens my love for my fellow man.

After digging our way out of our house, a chowder seemed like the proper main course for Sunday supper. While the chowder was simmering, I put together a major component of Monday's dinner as well: a short rib ragu (more on that tomorrow).

Menu for the Week
Sunday
Shrimp and corn chowder (all the ingredients were in the fridge and freezer)

Monday
Short rib ragu (made it on Sunday) with polenta and kale

Tuesday
Orchiette with oven-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic and ricotta

Wednesday
Borscht
Cucumber salad

Thursday
Black bean chili (from the freezer)

Friday
Field trip!
Sandwiches of pate, aged goat cheese and apple
Some kind of vegetable and bean salad
Brownies

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin